Following an idea that has been discussed in the NewMR group on LinkedIn The Future Place is going to organise a virtual conference later in the year, around the theme of “What will be the key NewMR themes in 2011 and 2012”.
The definition of what we mean by a virtual conference is still being refined, but it is likely to include the following:
- A core channel based on something like GoToWebinar which will host conventional presentations
- A Twitter backchannel to facilitate discussion and links to ‘Fringe’ events
- On open space
- Chat facilities
- A sponsored stream for corporate presentations
- Global, in the sense that it will start about midday in New Zealand and finish about 4pm US West Coast time, allowing people to access some of the event regardless of their time-zone
- A screened selection of presentations
- A 'turn up and present' facility
One of the models that is being used for the virtual conference is the Edinburgh Festival, with its core programme and then its lively Fringe of impromptu and less structured events.
Several people have already offered to help organise and promote the event and an Advisory Board will be created shortly, let us know if you would like to be considered for the Advisory Board.
Two possible dates are being explored at the moment, the 12th November and 17th December, both Fridays. Any thoughts and preferences between the two would be appreciated.