If you are looking for a great first resource for finding out a few key facts about one or more countries then try out the CIA’s Word Factbook.
The online book contains basic reports on 275 countries and is regularly updated. One of the useful things about the Factbook is that it stores the same information about each country in broadly comparable formats.
Included in the standard entries for each country are:
- Size of country
- Current environmental issues
- Population, age structure, birth rate, death rate, net migration rate, sex ratio, and life expectancy
- Ethnic groups, religions and languages
- Type of government and lots of political stuff
- GDP in a range of formats including per capita
- Lots of industrial facts
- Currency and currency code
- Telephones, fixed and mobiles
- Internet users
- Transnatonal issues, e.g. international disputes